Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Sweet & Savory Irish Soda Breads

I have to be honest with you....I don't really like Irish Soda Bread.  It's just tastes too much like, well, baking soda.

Yuck Face How To Get Your Blog Readers To Dislike You And Stop Reading Your Posts (..or How To Avoid It..)
Credit - Winsen Yeung
Yet, every St. Patrick's Day, I still find myself making it (and usually throwing out most of it).  This year, however, I'm taking a different approach to Soda Bread.  I decided to put some stuff into the mix that will make the breads more edible and enjoyable!
With this recipe, you get two breads - a Savory Dinner Bread and a Sweet Dessert Bread and you only have to make one dough!  Bonus: The main ingredient is Bisquick (make your own)!  

Dough:
8 Cups Bisquick
1/3 Cup White Sugar
4 Eggs
1 1/3 Cup Milk

Savory Add-Ins:
1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 Tablespoon Caraway Seeds
1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries

Sweet Add-Ins:
1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

This is super easy!  Mix the dough ingredients together as well as you can in a bowl.


Remove the very sticky dough from the bowl and knead it on a well-floured surface until it becomes manageable.  


Cut the dough in half and flatten each half a bit.


To one half add the Savory Add-Ins.  


To the other half, add the Sweet Add-Ins. 


Knead each half of dough until the Add-Ins are well distributed (I kneaded each half about twelve times).  Form the doughs into rounds.


Cut a 1/2 inch "X" into the tops of the doughs and place on a greased baking sheet.  You may add a little more Kosher Salt to the Savory Dough and a little more Brown Sugar to the Sweet Dough if you wish!


Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the tops are dark golden brown.  Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.

Here's the Savory Version - moist & salty goodness!
You can also make these ahead of time, freeze them in foil and a freezer bag, and serve later!  Allow 2 hours of thaw time before serving.  

Here's the Sweet Version - just look at that brown sugar swirl inside!

Enjoy & Happy St. Patrick's Day!

4 comments:

  1. Those look wonderful, thanks so much for all of your great recipes.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too dislike soda bread, so this sounds like a great alternative. Thanks for all your great ideas! -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good i want to take a bite right now. I'm happy to find your wonderful blog. I'm your newest follower. I hope you can find the time to come over to me little blog and follow me too. @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    I hope to see there
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

Compliments and Frugal Tips Only, Please!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...